In addition to providing writing classes, Fireline offers other services to help individuals and departments elevate their writing standards and skills.
Ignite Your Writing™ Seminars
Ignite Your Writing™ seminars are designed to elevate writing skills and standards in the fire and EMS services. These seminars examine the business and legal standards driving the demand for clear, concise, and correct writing skills from members of fire and EMS services. The seminars illustrate the risks posed by current practices and demonstrate ways to improve professional reports and papers.
The seminars target three main goals:
- To persuade members of the fire and EMS services that their writing skills impact their professional development, their departments’ images, and their relationships with customers;
- To instill confidence that solid writing skills are an attainable goal;
- To provide the tools needed to achieve respectable final documents.
Do you want to motivate your promotional candidates to take writing more seriously? A simple and effective way to do so is to include graded, written components on promotional processes. Do you know that NFPA 1021 contains 58 substandards calling for writing as a requisite or pre-requisite skill set? By including a graded, written component, departments can motivate candidates to address any weaknesses in the writing arena. Fireline can help in the following ways:
- Develop fair and objective graded, written exercises relevant to the position.
- Develop objective evaluation tools for written exercises.
- Serve as an evaluator for written exercises.
- Offer writing preparation for promotional candidates.
EFO Evaluation Services:
Would you like more instruction or guidance when writing your EFO paper? Is the EFO paper the first you’ve written since college? With Mary’s guidance, you can submit EFO papers with more confidence and with a clearer understanding of what is needed. Mary was a formal EFO paper evaluator in 2011 and offers advice that is allowable within the EFO guidelines. Additionally, she prepares writers to better understand how to strengthen future papers or projects.
Would you like to better prepare yourself for an upcoming promotion or for your current position, but don’t know where to begin? Would you like to improve your writing but don’t want to return to school? Fireline can help in the following ways:
- Identify the needs of an individual.
- Provide relevant instruction, follow-up exercises, and evaluation. Continue as long as the writer wants or needs.
Have you noticed that your firefighters and/or officers are producing poorly-written reports and other documents? Mary can help in the following ways:
- Identify the scope of the problem.
- Suggest realistic solutions – short term and long term.
Do you need to produce a report or other document that has been compiled by several individuals? Do you now need help turning it into a cohesive document with a common voice? Fireline can help in the following ways:
- Compile the rough draft components into a cohesive document.
- Proofread, edit, and revise where needed.
Watch for upcoming webinars. Let Fireline know if you have a topic you would like to see offered as a webinar.